This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Briar Cardigan

The idea of a cardigan with a high-low hem sat in my head for a while. I had planned on drawing the pattern myself, but then Megan Nielsen launched her Briar pattern. I had wanted to try one of her patterns anyway (you know, "market research") so the choice was easy.



The table indicated I should cut XS. I was surprised by this, I am usually a size M. I cut size S because I didn't want a snug cardigan, and I think the size turned out right. I slashed the front piece in half and added 5,5 cm to both center fronts. I then folded it over twice, whereby the middle of the newly formed edge was at the center front. Other than that, I pretty much followed the instructions! Except for shortening it a few cm. I found that this shape of the hem does not flatter those with big hips. My shoulders are just as wide as my hips, but with the long version my hips looked much bigger. Shortening it improved this a bit. I chose brownish buttons for an oldfashioned look. I deliberated on faux leather shoulder and/or elbow patches to complete the look, but that didn't happen. Mostly because I couldn't find nice faux leather. I did find beautiful soft lambskin leather, but didn't feel comfortable about it. That, and a bit of laziness to keep searching :) (Anyone know a good source for nice faux leather?)


I quite like the outcome. In fact, I liked this style so much I made a second Briar shortly after this one. I have never before made the same pattern twice! But then, this is such a fast and easy make, it hardly requires any planning. What I also like about it is that it was a piece I needed in my wardrobe, and that this colour fits in really well. What I don't like is that the fabric is already pilling, and together with the style, that makes it look a bit sloppy. But all in all, it's a day-to-day cardigan that is just a bit more interesting than usual. Sometimes that's all you need!

4 comments:

  1. it's perfect! i absolutely love your whole outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm learning how to combine things!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! Can I ask how you did the neckband? I'm trying to visualize how the ends would be done since you aren't going to see it into a circle as in the original pattern for the neckline...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ofcourse! Fold with wrong sides out, stitch the short sides together, fold back the other way, and stitch to the neckline.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!