This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Thrift Store Treasures #8

The print on this waistcoat drew my attention right away. I snatched it off the rack before they had even put in in the store. It cost me 4 euro's, well worth the money because it doesn't seem to have been worn much. I've never had or worn a waistcoat, but I felt that this one could be integrated into my wardrobe. As far as I can tell it's handmade in India, but nothing turned up when I googled the label.



As you can see it's a men's waistcoat, with two little welt pockets on the front. To make it fit, I started with taking an inch off both sideseams. I widened the neckline by 1cm, tapering to the center front and 2 cm at the back neckline. I also added two small armhole darts. It can be an advantage not to have to make it very 3D at the front, just a little shaping is enough for me. It doesn't sound like much, but it still took me a couple of hours to make these adjustments. I enyojed working on it and being precise. If someone has made this by hand, it feels good to treat it with care and give it a new life.




I tried it out with two different shirts. I'm not sure if the white shirt is a good idea, it makes the white in the waistcoat look a bit dirty. But I love this style, especially unbuttoned. Again, I need to make myself more slouchy blouses!





The back has a little buckle so you can accentuate the waist more. I'm curious what you think of the result. For me this is really a new kind of garment to wear, but I already feel very comfortable in it. What do you think of this style? Do you wear waistcoats?

2 comments:

  1. I love a good waistcoat! It's a great way to turn a basic and casual shirt into something I can wear to work, especially when has such a nice print as yours. Mine was definitely part of the cake in my wardrobe. Too bad it's too big and worn now. Maybe I could make a new one if you made a pattern. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wear vests myself, but this is very stylish on you. That black and white design is so psychedelic, and the stripes line up perfectly! I like it best paired with the slouchy blouse. Nice score!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!